Thursday, May 20, 2010

Rolled Rosette

These fabric rosettes are all the rage and you see them everywhere. Although, I am sure that there are other tutorials out there, this is how I do it. Excuse me if the pictures are a bit off and if the instructions aren't clear. Leave a comment if you would like more detail.

I wanted to show how cute these rosettes are no matter what fabric you use. I chose an old vintage piece of gray, white and red. I didn't like it when I started but, I LOVE the finished product. This one is one of my favorites now!

Start off with a strip of fabric. I chose about 2" wide. Fold the tip into a triangle and press.
Place the tip of the triangle in the center of a square of felt (3x3) and stitch down about 1/2". Here is a tip. If your machine has a needle down feature, USE IT! This makes making these rosettes so much faster and easier!
After about 1/2 inch, twist the strip and turn it to go along side the triangle that you already sewed down.
Turn your felt square as you are sewing and sew along the middle of the fabric strip. Continue to twist your fabric and turn it around the center of your flower. Overlapping slightly will eliminate any chance that you will see your felt backing.
Continue to twist, turn and sew. Notice that my needle stays down the entire time.
Continue to turn around the center. Your flower will be getting bigger the more times you circle the center.



When you come to the size that you would like to have for your rosette, cut the remainder off of the strip of fabric.
Tuck the end under your rosette and stitch over that part concealing the end of your fabric strip.
Finished product on felt.
What the underside should look like.
Ta Da!

No comments: